Parent Teacher Association
What is the Parents and Teachers Association?
A structure through which parents work with the Teachers and Board for the best possible education of their children.
Who is a member?
All parents of the children in the school and all teachers are members of the PTA. The Parents and Teachers Association Committee work on their behalf from one year to the next. The PTA committee is composed of volunteers.
What is the role of the PTA?
1. To work in partnership with the Principal, the Board of Management, Pupils, Staff and the whole School community for the betterment of the children within the school.
2. To support and empower parents to be active in the best interests of their children’s educational lives. It is important to note that the PTA is not a forum for complain against an individual, teacher, parent or child. Nor does it have a role in the pursuit of individual complaints.
How does this work in practice?
Collaborative work and good relationships depend on good communication between all the partners above. This is done through shared goes and expectations for the children and the school and shared understanding of one another’s work and responsibilities. It is as much about building a community as it is about organising events and fundraising.
What is the work of the PTA Committee? (PTAC)
The PTAC manages the business of the PTA in accordance with the rules (constitution) of the PTA from one AGM to the next. The main aim of the PTAC in METNS is to raise funds and organise events for the school, such as the Spooky Walk, the Winter Fair, the Book Fair, the Quiz, the March Hare Run and the Summer Fair.
Who is on the PTA Committee?
Chairperson – Carol Connolly
Treasurer – Una Phillips
Secretaries – Margaret Ashraful and Neasa Hogan
We would also love to have at least one parent representative from each class.
The key roles of the PTA Committee (PTAC)
· Chair meetings
· Guide and lead the committee
· Ensure that all members are respected and listened to and are encouraged to have their say. All decisions are taken democratically with respect for everyone’s opinion.
· Endeavour to facilitate that people work well together
· Delegate work to the committee and ensure that everyone has a clear understanding of the goals and roles.
· Plan the meetings in advance and ensure that here is a clear and manageable agenda
· Work closely with the Secretary to plan the agenda and meetings.
· Adhere to the start and end time of the meetings.
· Take and keep minutes of the meetings and to make sure that all the minutes are filed safely.
· Ensure attendance of the committee members and that the agenda is circulated prior to the meetings.
· Appropriately administer incoming and outgoing correspondence
· Assist the Chairperson
· Lodge and record all financial transactions.
· Manage and maintain books/records of income and expenditure.
· Give reports on finances after a major fund-raising event.
· Issue receipts for financial transactions.
· Liaise with the bank on behalf of the PTAC
· Present a full account of the income and expenditure at the PTA AGM
Are You A Parent With A Child In METNS
Please Get Involved And Dream With Us To Make Our Children’s Education The Best It Can Possibly Be …
Maynooth Educate Together Parents Association has been set up by a group of volunteer parents to work alongside the principal, school staff and board of management. The association offers all parents the opportunity to become involved with the school in a variety of ways, perhaps you can help with fundraising activities or share a skill or hobby. There will be many opportunities to help the school and to get to know other parents through social events and activities.
We look forward to working together and will keep you updated as to our progress.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org